Public Health Department (PHD)




Who can help me with health care coverage?

There are many resources to assist you locally. Public Health staff are trained and certified to answer questions and assist you with your application. Call one of our Health Centers to schedule an appointment:


931 Walnut Ave
Carpinteria, CA  93013
(805) 560-1050


1136 E. Montecito St
Santa Barbara, CA  93103
(805) 568-2099


345 Camino Del Remedio
Santa Barbara, CA  93110
(805) 681-5488


301 N. R ST
Lompoc, CA  93436
(805) 737-6400


2115 S. Centerpointe Pkwy
Santa Maria, CA  93455
(805) 346-7230




How can I complete an application for health coverage through Medi-Cal or Covered California?

There will be a number of ways to complete an application:

  1. You may come to a Public Health Department Health Care Center where you can receive medical care and complete an application at the same site. Just call one of our 5 Health Centers to schedule an appointment with one of our Certified Enrollment Counselors. See "ASSISTANCE" above for phone numbers and addresses. 
  1. You may complete an application on-line through the Department of Social Services or Covered California.

  2. You may call Covered California at 1-800-300-1506.



What should I bring to the appointment?

There are several documents you should bring to your appointment. They include:

1.  Proof of identity, U.S. citizenship, and/or immigration status

Provide one of the following documents to prove both U.S. Citizenship, identity, and date of birth:

0 Certificate of Naturalization

0 Certificate of U.S. Citizenship

0 California Driver’s License or ID

0 U.S. Passport

0 Department of State Form DS-1350

0 Certificate of Child Born Abroad

0 Department of State Form FS-545 or FS-240

0 Certificate of Birth Abroad

0 Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) Form N-550

0 INS Forms N-570, N-578, N-565, N-560, or N-561

0 INDV Fee Register Receipt (INS Form G-711)

0 Documentary evidence issued by a Federally recognized Indian Tribe, as published in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Indian Affairs which identifies the individual by name and confirms the individual's membership, enrollment, or affiliation with a tribe.

0 Tribal enrollment card

0 Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood

0 Tribal census document

0 Document on Tribal letterhead, issued under the signature of the appropriate Tribal official


2.  Proof of Legal Residency status

Provide one of the following documents to prove your immigration status:

0 Permanent Residency Card (Green Card) (need front and back of card)

0 Employment Authorization Card (need front and back of card)


3.  Proof of California Residency

0 Evidence the applicant has registered with a public/private employment agency in California

0 Current California driver's license or identification card

0 Current and valid California vehicle registration form in the applicant's name

0 Evidence the applicant is employed in California

0 Evidence that the applicant has enrolled his/her children in a California school

0 Evidence that the applicant is receiving public assistance in California

0 Voter registration form of receipt, card, or an abstract of Voter of registration

0 Current California utility bill in the applicant's name

0 Current California rent or mortgage receipt in the applicant's name

0 Other documents to support Proof of California Residency


4.  Proof of Income

You can provide one of the following documents as proof of income:

0 Most recent paystubs for everyone in your household

0 Previous year’s income tax return

0 Unemployment award letter/certificate

0 Pension statements

0 Social security benefit statement

0 Worker’s compensation award letter

0 Child support/alimony check stubs

0 Veteran’s benefits check stubs

0 Military paystubs


5.  Additional documents to bring along

0 Social Security Cards for all members of the family

0 A valid state-issued driver's license

0 Proof of income for those claimed on taxes, regardless of their need for health insurance


When can I apply for health care coverage?

  • You can apply now!
  • Applications for Medi-Cal are accepted regularly with no end date. 
  • Open enrollment for Covered California is November 1  to January 31.


When does open enrollment close?

  • Open enrollment closes January 31.
  • Call the Public Health Department to schedule an appointment with a Certified Application Counselor today.


Public Health Department