Department of Social Services

Financial Assistance

Do you need help making ends meet for yourself or your family? You may qualify for help through CalWORKs or General Relief.

CalWORKs is for parents of minor children. It helps parents who have lost their jobs, or become incapacitated or disabled, with temporary assistance for food, shelter, and basic living needs. Through its companion Welfare-to-Work program, employable parents receive help finding work, child care, and work training or short-term education, and can receive services to overcome barriers such as domestic violence or substance abuse. See our CalWORKs page for more information.

General Relief is a county program that offers small short-term loans to adults without children who need help meeting their most basic shelter and personal needs. Participants must sign agreements to repay county funds issued, which they can do by participating in work projects if employable, or by deductions from future disability benefits if unemployable. See our General Relief page for more information.




I just wanted you to know that you do make a difference and that I appreciate all of the help and guidance you have provided me. This has been a very difficult time for me and my family. I honestly do not want to think of where we would be if your services were not available to us.
-A Client

The materials and information contained on or obtained from this website, are distributed and transmitted “as is” without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including without limitation, warranties of title or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Information contained on this website, including information obtained from external links thereon, is provided without any representation of any kind as to accuracy or content and should be verified by the user. The County of Santa Barbara is not responsible for any special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages that may arise from the use of, or the inability to use, the website and/or the materials contained on the site whether the materials contained on the website are provided by the County Santa Barbara or a third party.